Montessori School of Manhattan
Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing, and Fire Protection Design
Two-floor, 7,300-square-foot preschool for 170 students at 2 Gold Street in Lower Manhattan.
Design of HVAC, electrical, plumbing,
and fire protection systems for the
build-out of the new preschool within
a tight two-month timeframe.
RAND Engineering & Architecture, PC
New York, NY
Lewis and Gould, New York, NY
$2,000,000 construction cost
- HVAC system regulates airflow
based on space usage for more
efficient air distribution, allowing
for smaller equipment.
- Horizontal air conditioning unit
with separate condenser and
Project Scope (cont.):
- Customized ductwork
incorporated into architect’s
- New system ventilation uses
in-line exhaust fans for bathrooms
- Designed circuit plan and
associated panel schedules for
wiring lighting circuits and
receptacles on both floors.
- Designed electrical room layout,
including new circuit breaker
panels and main disconnect
switches tying into existing
- Power and signal wiring for
individually coded fire alarm
- Installed all branch line
distribution piping for domestic
water and sanitary drainage.
- Hot water heaters in pantries
supply all required hot water for
- Drainage for perimeter classroom
sinks, located away from system
core, provided by dedicated self-
contained ejector pumps.
- New wet-type sprinkler system for