NEW YORK, December 5, 2011 –When it comes to working for the best, Rand employees have joined the club.
For the fourth year in a row, RAND Engineering & Architecture, PC was named one of the Best Places to Work in New York City by Crain's New York Business. Rand, which ranked 11 out of the 50 firms that made the list, was the only engineering or architectural firm named and one of only 10 firms that made the cut every year since the list's inception in 2008.
Crain's profile of Rand cited its "clubby atmosphere" in which employees participate in theme-based clubs, such as historic preservation, green design, and a mentoring and support club for junior associates pursuing their engineering or architectural licenses. The feeling of camaraderie and cooperation extends to the company's technical teams, where staff members freely share their experience and expertise on projects in a wide-range of disciplines, such as architectural design, exterior restoration, and mechanical engineering.
"What makes Rand a special place is not just having a wealth of knowledge under one roof, but also having a group of people who enjoy working with each other, helping each other out, and solving problems together," said Rand Vice President Peter Varsalona, PE.
All of the companies on Crain's list received high marks for a collegial atmosphere, challenging work, advancements, opportunities, and a myriad of perks and benefits. For Rand those perks include on-site yoga, an in-house exercise facility, and free personal training and nutritional counseling.
"Giving people the opportunity to pursue healthy activities makes the company more than just a place to work," said Rand President Stephen Varone, AIA, who founded Rand, now with a staff of 65, in 1987. "Healthy, happy employees are not only more productive, they also enjoy their work more and make the office a fun place to be."
To identify the companies for the Best Places to Work list, Crain's partnered with the Best Companies Group, an independent research firm. To be eligible for the list, businesses had to employ 25 or more workers in New York City. Scores from a confidential 72-question survey of employees accounted for 75% of a company's ranking; results from an 80-question survey of employers' policies and practices were factored in for the other 25 percent. Nearly 12,500 employees from companies in more than a dozen industries participated in the survey.
"The best places to work are the ones with the best people by your side," Varone said. "It's a club I'm proud to be a member of."
More RAND AWARDS